More than 5,250 registered refugees
1 part-time health centre
Majority aged between 13-25
- Located 4km east of Sidon, established in 1984.
- Refugees generally came from Saffourieh, Tiereh, Haifa and Miron in Palestine.
- Suffered considerable damage during years of civil conflict, particularly in July 1991 when 15% of its shelters were destroyed, along with UNRWA’s school and distribution centre.
- Most men work as casual construction labourers and in orchards. Women work in orchards, in embroidery shops and as cleaners.
- Socio-economic situation of refugees is extremely difficult.
- Water and sewerage systems were recently rehabilitated, and all shelters are now supplied with water through a network connected to UNRWA’s water plant.
- Due to frequent water shortages, another well/plant is needed.